Saturday, April 4, 2009

The family needs to eat, therefore, I cook.

I've never enjoyed cooking. It's just not my thing. As a newlywed, I prepared crunchy lima beans, undercooked turkey and a meal that was so bad that my husband still brings it up from time to time and has a hearty laugh. But over the years, I've improved. I will never be a Paula Deen but, trust me, you will leave my table content.


Not only have I had to learn how to cook tasty meals, I've had to learn economical, satisfying, and quick meals. Feeding a family of nine can be expensive but I've learned a few tricks to make it manageable.


One important tip:

These are basic staples you should always have stocked in your pantry.
I mean, really, does it get any more basic than this? This may seem like an obvious thing, but folks, I didn't know what to do with all of these. If it didn't come in a box with specific directions, I was lost. So if you already know how to make basic muffins, bread sticks, homemade biscuits, then ignore me. But I'm posting this in case it will be a blessing to someone just as it was to me.
Today I will give you the recipe for Basic Muffins with some variations. These are a favorite in our house. Oh the freedom! If I do not have french bread or dinner rolls to go with a meal, I just whip up a batch of these. They are fantastic. AND...I always have the ingredients on hand. If you are out of milk, just reconstitute dry milk. You cannot tell the difference.

Basic Muffins

1/4 cup oil

1 egg

1 cup milk

1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

2 cups flour

Combine oil, egg, milk, sugar and salt. Mix well. Add baking powder and flour. Mix until moistened. Do not over mix. Spoon batter into 12 well oiled muffin cups. Bake 400 degrees, 20 minutes.

Cornmeal muffins: Replace 1 Cup of flour with cornmeal. Use 1/3 cup of sugar.

Cinnamon Raisin Muffins: Add 1/2 cup raisins and 1 -1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Use 1/2 cup sugar.

Cheese muffins: Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of shredded cheese. Use only 2 tablespoons of sugar.

Breakfast Meat Muffins: Add 1/2 - 3/4 cup of finely chopped, cooked ham or 6 slices of cooked, crumbled bacon or 1/2 cup finely chopped, cooked sausage. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Use only 2 tablespoons of sugar.

Corn Muffins: Add 1 cup well-drained, cooked corn. Use 1/4 cup sugar.

That's it...Easy, huh?

If you try these, let me know what you think!

Tomorrow...a favorite afternoon snack.

Garlic Bread Sticks

6 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

I have been after a basic recipe with variations for a while. Thanks so much! I'm going to link.

Hope R. is better tomorrow.

Tracey said...

Your blog looks fabulous! Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it...praying for R. :( I'm feeling your pain.

Shannon Dingle said...

Marvelous! Looking forward to making these!

cjtoscano said...

I am so glad you are going to post those garlic sticks you told me about. I was thinking about them the other day! Can't wait!

Amy said...

Great recipe and variations!! Thanks! I can't remember ever making muffins from scratch, so this is very helpful to have your tried and true recipe!

The Comers said...

We certainly do have to learn a few tricks to make feeding the masses economically manageable, don't we?! The Lord has been gracious to teach me more and more as I had each child! I guess we grow up as they do, huh? Helpful post!
Melinda