Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Luvada


This is Luvada Walker Hollingsworth, my grandmother.
Isn't she beautiful? I've never met her. She died when my father was a teenager. She had breast cancer.
My middle name is also Luvada and I would love to know her. Since she has 4 children, I like to imagine that she enjoyed being a mother as much as I do. I know she had very good taste. For heaven's sake, look at those "to-die-for" spectator pumps. From my Dad's stories I know that she was a disciplinarian, a strong woman, and rarely missed church. I gather that she had a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and is worshipping Him in heaven right now.
What a treasure to have this photo!
It got me to thinking...
What will the next generations "gather" about me?
What will my legacy be?
I wonder about the granddaughters and great granddaughters who I will never meet in the flesh. What do I want them to remember about me and my life?
What about yours? Have you given it much thought?
In the meantime, I look forward to meeting Luvada in heaven. We will worship the Lord together. Do you think we will be rockin' some awesome shoes? I can guarantee that painful high heels will not be there. Crocs? maybe.

3 comments:

NCSCV Columbus County Volunteers said...

Thanks Karen for such words. I'm writing this with tears and after recovering from being chocked-up . Everything you said is true. I have something else concerning her that is coming soon to you vie e-mail. You, Michelle, and James are going to find it very interesting.

Carpool Queen said...

I hope they know that our family's legacy is one of faith and service. And adventure. And laughter. Lots and lots of laughter.

Christy said...

Hi, we haven't met, but I found your blog through Knightdale Top Blogs...I'm a family historian and was so excited to see someone writing about their history and worrying about passing on their own story. If you ever need ideas on how to do it or some great ideas to get started on your own story, let me know. (Don't worry, I'm not trying to sell you anything.) It's my favorite hobby!!