Saturday, July 26, 2008

Emergency Dinners

I have a couple of meals that I consider Emergency Dinners. You know what I'm talking about, right? It's 5:00 and you realize that you forgot to defrost anything. There is nothing in the crockpot, nothing on the stove or in the oven, nothing ready for the grill. AHA!! You can fall back on your emergency dinner. One of my EDs is rice and beans. I always have the ingredients on hand. Rice served with black beans (canned), corn (canned), salsa, sour cream, and tortilla chips. Open a can of fruit as a side dish and voila...a quick meal.

What are your EDs? Please share. As busy as life is, we need to have a couple of these to pull out of our pocket.

6 comments:

Norma said...

Girl, you know my emergency dinner is... McDonald's!!!

I am SO not the domestic goddess my friends are.

I might have to try yours, though. Sounds yummy!

Tracey said...

Mine would have to be french toast with fruit on the side. Or, grits, eggs, and cheese in a bowl with fruit. Evidently, I fall back to breakfast items for my emergency dinners!

ash hartley said...

so one of my favorite emergency dinners is chicken wraps. i almost always have frozen chk. strips in the freezer. We put them in tortillas with lettuce, tomatoes, & ranch dressing. fruit on the side & call it a meal!!
jacob and i prefer the buffalo style and save the regular for the kids...

The Lord Family said...

My emergency dinner also falls along the "breakfast" course. We will have my "special omlettes" on nights when dinner just doesn't happen. We normally have the simple ingredients on hand: butter, eggs, cheese and turkey bacon. I fix them the way I learned by watching Good Eats. Perfect every time!
Another plus is that the kids can help me prep!
Heather

Norma said...

I don't see any survey! ;-)

trish said...

Your ED sound delicious! We like baked chicken strips and either baked tator tots or fries. Also, breakfast is a big saver! However, in the winter when our chickens are not laying as often, our egg supply decreases, so we lean on the chicken strips and fries! :o)