Thursday, July 10, 2008

It made my day!

I do not particularly enjoy grocery shopping. My technique is usually pretty simple. Get in. Get out. Nobody gets hurt.

Today, I had a different experience. As I was finishing up business in the checkout line, a young man caught my attention. I would say he was about 18 years old and working at Harris Teeter as a bagger for the summer. Why did I notice him among all the other 18 year old baggers at the grocery store?

He was helping a mother with a toddler in her cart out to the car and he was making goofy faces at the baby. I know....it's a little thing...but it made a huge impression on me. How often do you see teenage boys eagerly and persistently trying to coax a smile from a baby? In public no less? It seems to me that young adults are usually so consumed with what they will do when they get off work or too concerned with how they look to others that they would never be comfortable engaging a small child.

It was sweet. I have thought of that scene several times today. What a thoughtful young man. I want to raise boys like this. Let me rephrase that. I want to raise men like this.

No comments: