Monday, November 17, 2008

My Little Secret

I have a secret.

I've kept it long enough. It's time for the world to know.

It all started when I reached the end of my rope. You've probably all been there.


WHY DO NONE OF THE SOCKS MATCH!!

Then when we had several children, it became impossible. John's socks, my socks, and the girls socks were everywhere and always needed to be sorted and matched. John and I would sit in the middle of the den floor and work on "The Project"

"I have a thin, pink, medium-sized sock with a small rosette on the ankle." I would say.
John responded, "Nothing like that over here. Do you have any gray athletic socks with Nike on the toe?"

And then...the dilemma...what to do with all the socks that haven't matched up in a couple of weeks. For goodness sake, do you throw them away? That doesn't seem right. Where are the matches anyway? Probably the same place where all my spoons are disappearing to. One day I will discover a jackpot of unmatched socks and cereal spoons.

When boys were added to the family, it took me over the edge. I needed to approach the sock issue from a whole new angle.


Here it is...my secret.

I don't match socks anymore.
There. I said it.

All socks are kept in this community sock bin in our linen closet.
It works beautifully. When we fold the freshly washed laundry, I make a pile of clean socks and put them away, all at once, in this bin. Every morning, each family member makes a trip to the bin and finds two socks that fit their feet. Voila! Simple as that.

One more thing. We only buy white socks. Find two that are approximately the same size and you're good to go.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

You are hilarious! I love the answer to the universal sock problem...now, I'll be lurking your blog to find the answer to the missing spoon mystery....maybe our spoons are hanging out together somewhere???

Melissa said...

I some how came across your blog by accident. And being the nosie person that I am... haha I read it!!!
Pretty cool that you have 7 children. That is amazing. It must be hard sometimes but it has to be all worth it. Anyway, just thought since I read it I would leave a message!! Have a great holiday. melissa

Norma said...

You and I ... we share so much in common. I posted a pic over at my place... just for you!

Gretchen said...

What a great idea! My girls are getting a sock bin this weekend!

On a side note, the 'word verification' for this comment is "detoning". Is that what I do when I don't exercise? Made me laugh.